Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Christmas Brunch Casserole


This week my hubby and I celebrated our 2 year anniversary. I really wanted to make a special breakfast to surprise my hubbs...so I headed off to one of my fav sites...allrecipes.com! I found this recipe...and I made a few alterations....and the husband loved it! It was not my favorite...It tasted a little to "egg" for me...but he loved it..so that's all that really matters :) Mission Accomplished!




1 pound bacon **I substituted 1lb. sausage**

1 tablespoon butter

2 onions, chopped **I only added 1 large onion**

2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms **omitted**

4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon garlic salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

4 eggs

1 1/2 cups milk

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese **I added 2 cups**


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch casserole dish.

Place bacon in large, deep skillet. Cook over med high heat until evenly brown. Drain and set aside. In skillet, melt butter and fry onions and mushrooms until tender.

Mix potatoes, onion, mushrooms, bacon, salts and pepper and place in prepared casserole dish.

In a large bowl, beat eggs with milk. Pour over casserole. Top with cheese. **if making the night before..cover and refrigerate**

Cover with foil and bake in oven for 1 hour or until set. If preparing and baking the same day, cook for 45 minutes.

No comments: